"Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal has been providing professional residential and commercial roofing services throughout Texas for more than 50 years."
David Phillips – Ja-Mar President
Our principles of using the finest quality roofing products and providing skilled craftsmanship and superior service set us apart from other Texas roofing contractors.
In recent years, vast improvements in roofing technology have provided more options than ever for roofing replacement and roof repair. At Ja-Mar, we have the expertise to evaluate your existing roof system and determine the most effective solution to meet your objectives. For more than five decades, we have maintained an uncompromising commitment to the highest standards in roofing sales, service and installation. We’re also licensed and certified by the Roofing Contractors Association of Texas, which set the standards for roofing across the entire state.
If you are looking for a quality roofing contractor in Texas, we thank you for your interest in Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal and invite you to browse our website to learn more about our roof repair and replacement services. We look forward to working with you on your roofing project.
MEET THE TEAM
President & CEO
David and his family reside in Austin, Texas where Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal has been based for more than 50 years. He is proud to be at a company that has obtained the exclusive status of Master Elite Roofing Contractor for GAF Materials Corporation, a status only 3% of roofing contractors in the U.S. have achieved.
Head of Marketing & Webmaster
In Loving Memory of Don Garritano by David Phillips
Don first came to Ja-Mar in 2011 when we were named the Authorized dealer for the DOW Powerhouse Solar Shingle. Don had been following the solar industry closely and was very excited as we were about the innovation that allowed an actual roofing shingle to be utilized for solar power. With his extensive experience in roofing sales to complement his solar knowledge, I put Don in charge of our solar/roofing division.
Don was an extremely intelligent and meticulous person. His attention to detail on all his projects was a testament to his success in the roofing industry. I personally enjoyed his fiery, Italian disposition. He was no-nonsense about the business yet had an extremely dry wit that could always make light of a situation. He was also a man of faith and exemplified this in the many charitable contributions that he made in his life. He connected our company as a sponsor with Mobile Loaves & Fishes as he ran in their 5K Kids Fun Run every year. Don and I shared a cup of coffee and some hummus at Bouldin Creek Café not too long before his accident. We had a relaxing time out on their patio. We’re all going to miss Don here at Ja-Mar, he was a great guy. RIP, Don.
In Loving Memory of Rick King by David Phillips
The word that has always come to mind regarding Rick was loyalty. Rick started working for Ja-Mar in 2008 and over the years he has satisfied thousands of our clients with quality roof repairs. He had a brash, straight forward way of dealing with people that let you know exactly where he was coming from. Faith and family were at the heart of what made Rick who he was. As our families went through challenges over the years, there were many times that Rick and I locked arms in my office and lifted each other up in prayer, always thankful for our shared faith in the Savior.
When things would get slow and then we would get a good rain and the phone would ring off the hook, our comment to each other was always “what a difference a day can make”. Rick and I shared a special bond. The roofing business is a very fragmented industry with many people moving around and numerous others splintering off and starting their own companies. Rick was different and I will always treasure the loyalty he showed to me and to Ja-Mar. He will be greatly missed by us all. RIP, Rick.
- Roofing Austin
- Roofing Abilene
- Roofing Alamo Heights
- Roofing Barton Creek
- Roofing Bastrop
- Roofing Bee Cave
- Roofing Roofing Blanco
- Roofing Briarcliff
- Roofing Boerne
- Roofing Buda
- Roofing Bulverde
- Roofing Castle Hills
- Roofing Cedar Park
- Roofing Canyon Lake
- Roofing Converse
- Roofing Driftwood
- Roofing Dripping Springs
- Roofing East Austin
- Roofing Elgin
- Roofing Fischer
- Roofing Fredericksburg
- Roofing Georgetown
- Roofing Granite Shoals
- Roofing Helotes
- Roofing Hill Country Village
- Roofing Hollywood Park
- Roofing Horseshoe Bay
- Roofing Hutto
- Roofing Johnson City
- Roofing Jonestown
- Roofing Kyle
- Roofing Lago Vista
- Roofing Lakeway
- Roofing Leander
- Roofing Leon Springs
- Roofing Liberty Hill
- Roofing Live Oak
- Roofing Lost Creek
- Roofing Manor
- Roofing Marble Falls
- Roofing New Braunfels
- Roofing Oak Hill
- Roofing Olmos Park
- Roofing Pemberton Heights
- Roofing Pflugerville
- Roofing River Place
- Roofing Rollingwood
- Roofing Round Rock
- Roofing San Antonio
- Roofing San Marcos
- Roofing Schertz
- Roofing Selma
- Roofing Seguin
- Roofing Shavano Park
- Roofing Spicewood
- Roofing Spring Branch
- Roofing Steiner Ranch
- Roofing Sunset Valley
- Roofing Tarrytown
- Roofing Terrell Hills
- Roofing The Hills
- Roofing Westlake Hills
- Roofing Wimberley
- Roofing Windcrest
- James McKinney begins planning to start a company to serve his community in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- James McKinney starts his first roofing business with partner James Parker in New Orleans named J&J Roofing.
- Worked in storm damage restoration across the Midwestern United States
- James McKinney becomes sole owner of J&J Roofing from 1963 onward
1969 – 1975
- James moves to Austin, TX, and establishes J&J Roofing as an Austin company (1969)
- Over several years, J&J Roofing grows to become the premier roofing company for many home builders in Austin
- James partners with Don Barker to form Bar-Mac Roofing & Sheet Metal (1975)
1975 – 1977
- Partnership with Don Barker lasts for two years before James goes back to doing business as J&J Roofing
1977 – 1985
- A large streak of growth for J&J Roofing in Austin
- Alliance forms with Earl Curry Sheet Metal (est. 1939) and James handles all of Earl’s larger roofing jobs in exchange for Earl’s sheet metal fabrication
- Alliance forms with Buass-Koemier Roofing (est. 1890)
- Both Earl Curry Sheet Metal and Buass-Koemier Roofing, upon retiring, entrusted James with their clientele. James purchased their assets and continued serving both his and their clientele from that point onward
- J&J Roofing becomes the trusted choice for many up and coming home builders in the Austin market. J&J Roofing put roofs on sub-divisions like Castlewood, Onion Creek, Lost Creek, and NW Hills
- Oak Hill is struck by a massive hailstorm, J&J Roofing thrives (1981)
- Re-roofing projects throughout the community, including the University Co-op, Scholz Garten, Williamsburg and Park Field Condos, Warehouse Saloon, and the original structure on 6th and Lamar that would become Whole Foods Market
- James marries Marlyn McKinney, and the name of the company is changed to Ja-Mar Roofing
- A relationship with Otis Jung of Twin Oaks Properties proves vital to the growth of Ja-Mar Roofing. Mr. Jung’s company begins buying much of the real estate along what is now Ben White Blvd.
- Ja-Mar continues to solidify its reputation for quality workmanship and customer service with James in the field and Marlyn in the office
1987, 1993, 1995
- Large hailstorms thrust Ja-Mar fully into the re-roofing market as their reputation for attention to detail is widely known in the growing Austin market
2003 – 2005
- Ja-Mar Roofing is sold to Jim Floyd (2003)
- James and Marlyn work with Jim, but he decides the roofing business is not for him. Ownership of Ja-Mar Roofing returns to James and Marlyn (2004)
- Ja-Mar Roofing is sold to DL Phillips Construction, Inc. (2005)
- David Phillips (President of DL Phillips Construction) and James McKinney (now Senior Consultant) combine to set record year of sales in excess of $6M within the first year of new ownership
- Marlyn McKinney enters board as Office Manager
- Alliance with Twin Oaks Properties again proves fruitful as Ja-Mar re-roofs multiple commercial properties in 2006, grossing over $3M
- Company’s name is changed to Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal, as the company begins to receive recognition for standing seam metal roofing and sheet metal fabrication
- Ja-Mar continues to grow and is recognized as a Master-Elite Residential and master Commercial Contractor with GAF Materials Corp.
- Ja-Mar is awarded several Historical roofing projects in Pemberton Heights and Tarrytown neighborhoods and becomes a renowned contractor for Historical Restoration
- DL Phillips Construction, Inc. acquires River City Roofing (est. 1971), increasing the commercial clientele of Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal. Previous owner of River City Roofing comes on board with Ja-Mar as a Commercial Sales Consultant
- Ja-Mar completes many high profile roofing jobs and gains authority in the industry.
- Single largest grossing residential job in company history; more than 10,000 sqft. of Copper Standing Seam
- Unique Slate Re-roof on a $10M remodel of an Austin home
- A nationally recognized re-roof on the Palisades Office Complex which was featured in Metal Roofing Magazine
- Many extraordinary metal roofing projects in Horseshoe Bay, TX
- Re-roofing of Stubbs BBQ, a historical commercial building in downtown Austin
- Re-roofing of several homes and businesses of famous Austinites
- Re-roofing of numerous churches throughout the Austin area
- Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal becomes preferred vendor for many General Contractors & Custom Home builders in the Austin market
2006, 2008, 2009
- Hailstorms hit the Austin area in 2006 and 2008, with two storms striking in 2009
- New Digs! Ja-Mar Roofing moves its headquarters to Buda, TX. They occupy a 5000 sqft. office with a 3600 sqft. sheet metal shop on 1.6 acres off of the IH-35 frontage road.
- Ja-Mar adds to its commercial department and broadens its alliances with General Contractors, Property Managers and Building Owners.
- Ja-Mar begins planning for expansion of the company into San Antonio, Houston & Dallas-Ft Worth. The development of a dedicated Storm Sales Team is established to service hail storm victims throughout the state of Texas.
- Ja-Mar makes key hires in personnel to expand into other markets
- Ja-Mar is awarded numerous commercial contracts completing high profile projects at the University of Texas and Riverview Apartments in downtown Austin. Other notable projects included the 12th Street condos for PSW Homes, Acton Academy, VA Hospital and the historical State Theater.
- Dow Chemical Company selects Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal as its Authorized Dealer for the revolutionary new POWERHOUSE Solar Shingle. Ja-Mar completes first ever install of POWERHOUSE Solar Shingle for South Austin homeowner.
- Classic Metal Roofing Systems, an Ohio based manufacturer of residential metal roofing selects Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal as its Authorized Dealer for the Classic Country Manor Shake roofing system.
- Ja-Mar hits a record year of sales!
- Recognized as a Super Service Award winner with Angie’s List
- Single largest grossing residential job in company history from 2008 is surpassed by a unique, highly detailed cedar shingle project in the Rio Grande Valley. The home required over 27,500 Sq Ft of custom ordered Western Red Cedar shingles as well as numerous intricate copper flashing details.
- Commercial projects completed for Alpha Building Corp, American Campus Communities, American Constructors, Cassidy Turley, DCA Construction, Dimensional Construction, Office Depot, The Outpost Apartments and Texas Regional Banks
- Ja-Mar is named to the Inc 5000 list of the fastest growing private companies in America
- Ja-Mar completes roof on the Hill Country Science Mill in downtown Johnson City, TX. General Contractor, Hill Country Design Build & Ja-Mar Roofing & Sheet Metal receive national notoriety as the project converted an old abandoned feed mill into a cutting edge, technology-based attraction for interactive learning. The family destination offers exhibits, games and programs for all ages.
- Historical Roofing projects completed in Abilene, TX. The Alexander Trust Building constructed in 1925, then the tallest building in Abilene and one of Abilene’s first fire stations. Also Ja-Mar completed a full renovation of roofing, siding and painting on a large condominium complex located just outside the campus at Abilene Christian University.
- Ja-Mar sets new annual company record for the number of residential standing seam metal roofing installs.
- Ja-Mar again sets new company record for sales!
- Ja-Mar receives the Triple Excellence Award from GAF Materials Corp. for its dedication to the highest standards in sales, service and installation.
- Ja-Mar completes re-roof on the historic new Hotel Ella (Once the Mansion at Judges’ Hill) at 1900 Rio Grande Austin, TX
- Ja-Mar completes tile re-roof of 15,000 Sq Ft residence in Abilene, TX
- Ja-Mar completes re-roof of multiple buildings on Guadalupe St. in Austin, TX (The UT drag)
- Standing seam metal sales reach another record high
- Single-ply commercial sales reach record high
- Dow Solar sales reach record high
- Record year of storm damage.